In June of 1953, Archbishop Gerald T. Bergan announced the erection of a new parish in West Omaha, the first new parish in the Archdiocese in 34 years. It was to be known as Christ the King Parish, and Father Robert P. Hupp was appointed its founding pastor. Plans commenced immediately for development of the 13 acre tract of land which lay in the heart of the new parish.
In the early days of the parish, Father Hupp resided at St. James Orphanage. In a few months time, he was able to purchase a house near the parish property. Sunday Masses for the first year and a half were held at Peony Park.
By Christmas of 1953, contracts had been signed for a grade school and a gymnasium-auditorium, the latter to serve as a temporary Church.
In September of 1954, Christ the King School opened its doors to 123 pupils in eight grades. Four Sisters of the Servants of Mary were in charge.
The story since then has been one of continuous growth and expansion. In January of 1960, ground was broken for Christ the King's permanent church and rectory. The plans for the 1100 seat structure drew international architectural notice. The permanent church was dedicated in the summer of 1961, the only one in town with stained glass windows.
The newly constructed Parish Center was dedicated in November of 1998.
In April of 2006 the Tradition of Excellence Campaign was launched with the proceeds used to install a geothermal HVAC system in the school, remodel the school bathrooms, repair and restore the stained glass windows in the church, interior church renovation, construction of the Patricia J. Koley adoration chapel and exterior parking lot and drainage projects completed.
Christ the King Parish - 654 S. 86th Street Omaha, NE 68114 - 402-391-3606 - email@example.comChrist the King Catholic School - 831 S. 88th Street Omaha, NE 68114 - 402-391-0977 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Site by Solutio